Pregnancy is an exciting time but can make parents anxious, especially when they are simultaneously managing their epilepsy. Working closely with your healthcare team, you can take steps to manage a healthy pregnancy and support the safe delivery of your baby.
This section contains tools and information you, your healthcare team, and your support system will use to make your pregnancy, labor, and delivery as safe as possible.
Pregnancy & Delivery With Epilepsy Topics
- Pregnancy Management: Learn what to expect and what steps you can take to help manage your pregnancy.
- Pregnancy Monitoring of Anti-seizure Medication (ASM): Work with your epilepsy care team to monitor your anti-seizure medication levels, alter ASM dosage if necessary, track seizure activity, and get enough sleep during your pregnancy.
- Unplanned Pregnancy: Understand what steps to take if you have an unplanned pregnancy.
- Seizure Stability & Pregnancy: Maintain seizure stability throughout your pregnancy, including during labor and delivery.
- Labor & Delivery with Epilepsy: Create a labor and delivery plan that covers how and where to deliver your baby as well as the steps you and your care team can take to limit the chance of seizures during labor and delivery.
- Epilepsy & Pregnancy Appointment Calendar: This tool allows you to work with your epilepsy and pregnancy care team to schedule and track the tests and appointments you may have during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding & Epilepsy: Plan how you’ll feed your baby. Research shows it’s safe to breastfeed when you take anti-seizure medications (ASMs), and breastfeeding is beneficial for both you and your baby.